Michael is Of Counsel.
Michael J. Hui is a trusted advisor and collaborator to startups and emerging growth companies. He guides them through the entire employment lifecycle from hire, compensation, EEO compliance, termination, and beyond. Michael works to develop real life solutions to help clients achieve their mission and maximize value for the business. As a former high stakes employment litigator, Michael leverages this background when counseling clients to limit or eliminate risk, as well as providing support when disputes arise.
Prior to joining Gunderson Dettmer, Michael was a litigator at an international labor and employment law firm representing tech companies and multinational corporations in all types of employment matters, including sexual harassment lawsuits, wage and hour class and PAGA actions, and wrongful discharge matters. Michael also was seconded as an in-house employment counsel to a publicly traded fintech company, giving him unique insight into client needs and expectations.
- University of San Francisco, J.D.
- University of California, Davis, B.A., Economics and Managerial Economics
- Co-Chair, Bar Association of San Francisco, The Equality Committee on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues, 2023 to the present
- Named Minority Corporate Counsel Association Rising Star, 2022
- Board of Directors, The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association, 2021 to the present
- President, Northern California Employment Round Table, 2018 to the present
- Best LGBTQ+ Lawyers Under 40 – Class of 2021, The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association
“Regulating Artificial Intelligence in Employment: How to Comply and Best Practices,” Webinar, December 14, 2022
“LGBTQI+ Discrimination: Ensuring EEO Compliance and Inclusion,” EEOC Training Institute, July 15, 2022
“Review What’s New in 2022,” Northern California Employment Round Table, March 1, 2022
“Leveraging Your Power: Networking and Business Development for Attorneys with Intersectional Identities,” The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association, December 3, 2021
“Labor and Employment Law and the New Administration,” The Lavender Law Conference, July 30, 2021
“Steps for Setting Up Successful ERGs,” Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley, April 21, 2021
“LGBTQIA+ in Big Law,” The Lavender Law Conference, August 12-14, 2020
“Employment Issues When Returning to Work During or After a Pandemic,” The National LGBTQ+ Bar Association, June 19, 2020
“Transgender Rights in the Workplace,” Northern California Employment Round Table, March 19, 2020
“The Meaning of ‘Sex’ and the Evolving Interpretation of ‘Sex’ with Respect to Title VII,” National Asian Pacific American Bar Association Convention, November 9, 2019