Gunderson Dettmer Recognized as PitchBook’s 2021 Most Active VC Law Firm in India and Southeast Asia
Gunderson Dettmer continues to be recognized as the “most active law firm” in India and Southeast Asia by PitchBook’s 2021 Global Venture Capital League Tables. This ranking recognizes the excellence of our global practice groups and our strategic growth in Singapore as Gunderson Dettmer handled more venture and growth equity transactions in India and Southeast Asia than any other law firm in the world.
According to PitchBook, the deals handled by Gunderson Dettmer in India and Southeast Asia included over 100 companies, 560 investors, and $15.9 billion raised for the most promising companies in the region.
“2021 was a year of tremendous growth for the India and Southeast Asia venture ecosystems. We worked alongside our investor and company clients on some of the most significant deals in the region, and saw the minting of a record number of unicorns and decacorns. Our Singapore office, which more than doubled in size, celebrated its first partner promotion and continues to expand to support the thriving venture-backed community in this region.” said Jonathan Pentzien, Managing Partner of the Singapore office.
Of particular note, among numerous early-stage and late-stage financings focused on India and Southeast Asia:
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Prosus Ventures as it co-led the $350 million Series E financing of API Holdings, the parent company of PharmEasy, one of India’s largest digital pharmacies, along with private equity firm TPG Growth. This round makes PharmEasy India’s first e-pharmacy unicorn.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Asia Partners as it led the $200 million Series D-2 financing of Carsome, a Malaysia-based online used car marketplace. This round makes Carsome Malaysia’s first and largest tech unicorn.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Insignia Ventures Partners as it led the $153 million Series B financing of Ajaib, an Indonesia-based online stock brokerage. This round makes Ajaib Southeast Asia’s first investment platform unicorn after reaching over $1 billion valuation in this latest funding round.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Fast Group as it led the $30 million Series B financing of Great Deals E-Commerce, a provider of e-commerce services catering to multi-national brands. The financing is one of the largest venture rounds raised by a Philippines company in 2021.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented TurtleTree, Singapore’s first cell-based milk producer, in its $30 million Series A financing. This financing marks one of the largest venture rounds raised in Asia's cell-based food sector to date.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Yellow.ai, the world’s first conversational TX automation platform, in its $78 million Series C financing.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented HealthifyMe, India’s leading AI health and fitness app, in its US$75 million Series C financing co-led by LeapFrog and Khosla Ventures. Khosla Ventures is one of the pre-eminent health-tech and AI focused VC funds in the world and HealthifyMe marks one of the most significant investments it has made in India till date.