Steve focuses on working with high-profile, venture-backed companies.
Steve counsels emerging companies and venture capital funds on a broad range of legal and business issues relating to governance, fundraising, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, exit transactions, and other securities and corporate matters.
Steve’s company clients span across a wide range of industries -- including enterprise software, healthcare services, consumer products, media, and financial technology, and include both early-stage and mature businesses.
Steve also serves as lead outside counsel to Tiger Global, Greenoaks Capital and other growth funds in their private investment activities. He has executed hundreds of private equity investments, including control and minority transactions, in well over 50 countries around the world. His most notable company-side representations include the following:
- Flipkart, through multiple financings and buy-side acquisitions, and then as lead outside counsel in the company’s acquisition by Wal-Mart, which was at the time reported to be the most highly-valued e-commerce M&A deal in world history
- Souq, through multiple financings and then as lead outside counsel in its sale to Amazon
- Stack Exchange, from formation to its sale to Prosus
- Trello, from formation through to its sale to Atlassian
- Tumblr in its acquisition by Yahoo!
- Saavn, on various financing and acquisition matters, and then its strategic transaction with Reliance Industries
- Betaworks, and then its various spin-out companies, including Summize, Giphy and Dots, from formation through to their exits.
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
- James Kent Scholar
- Articles Editor for the Columbia-VLA Journal of Law & the Arts
- Teaching and Research Fellow in Contracts for Professor E. Allan Farnsworth
- Princeton University, B.S.E., Civil Engineering and Operations Research
- cum laude