Gunderson Dettmer Recognized as PitchBook’s 2021 Most Active VC Law Firm in Latin America
Gunderson Dettmer is recognized as the “most active law firm” for Latin America in Pitchbook’s 2021 Global Venture Capital League Tables. This ranking recognizes the excellence and leadership of our global practice groups and our strategic growth in the region.
Latin America’s venture investment reached over $15 billion in 2021 which was more than the total capital invested in the region in the previous six years combined. Pitchbook Data confirmed that the number of deals handled by Gunderson Dettmer included over 103 companies, more than 565 investors, and over $10 billion raised for the most promising companies in the region.
“For more than 15 years, Gunderson Dettmer has been a supporter of entrepreneurship and venture capital investment in Latin America, and is proud to have played a role in many of the most impactful financing rounds and corporate transactions in 2021, which was a watershed year for the Latin America VC financing and startup ecosystem. We look forward to much growth ahead in our Latin America practice and continued strategic focus on the region,” said Daniel Green, partner and co-head of the Latin America practice group.
Adan Muller, partner and member of the Latin America practice group included that, "2021 was a remarkable year for startup exits in Latin America. In addition to all the financing activity in 2021, we represented clients in more buy and sell-side M&As than ever before. We are proud to have been alongside our clients from early-stage through spectacular exits."
Of particular note, among numerous early-stage and late-stage financings focused on Latin America:
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Betterfly, a Chile-based platform that enables employers to incentivize healthy habits for workers, in its $125 million Series C financing led by Glade Brook Capital
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Addi, a BNPL platform, in its $200 million equity and debt financing led by GIC with participation from Softbank’s Latin America Fund
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Neoway, a Brazilian big data and analytics platform, in its R$ 1,800,000 acquisition by B3, the Brazilian stock exchange
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Incode Technologies, an identity verification and authentication platform in its $220 million Series B financing co-led by General Atlantic and SoftBank
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Clara, a Mexico-based corporate spend management fintech, in its $70 million Series B financing led by Coatue Management
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Kavak, an online platform for buying and selling secondhand cars, in its $700 million Series E financing that brought the company’s valuation to $8.7 billion
- Gunderson Dettmer represented isaac, a school financial management platform, in its $125 million Series B financing led by General Atlantic.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Cora, a Brazilian digital lender to small-and-medium-sized businesses, in its $116 million Series B financing led by Greenoaks Capital
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Elo7, a marketplace for unique, handmade items, in its $215 million acquisition by Etsy
- Gunderson Dettmer represented NotCo, a food technology company making plant-based milk and meat replacements, in its $235 million Series D financing led by Tiger Global
- Gunderson Dettmer represented MadeiraMadeira, an online retail platform for home furnishing products, in a $190 million late-stage financing co-led by SoftBank and Dynamo