Brian is a corporate partner in our New York office and a founding partner of our São Paulo office.
Brian focuses on the representation of private and publicly held emerging growth companies and venture capital and growth equity funds that invest in those companies. He has significant international venture capital experience, particularly in Latin America, and is the founding member and co-head of the firm's Latin America practice group. He represents technology companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile in cross-border venture financings and acquisitions as well as public offerings in U.S. capital markets. He has represented numerous U.S. investors with venture financings and strategies for maximizing liquidity and returns.
Brian specializes in all areas of corporate, securities and partnership law, including the formation and financing of companies, public offerings, debt transactions, corporate governance and investor-side financings of all stages. Brian’s work with companies spans the entire corporate life-cycle, including strategic decisions and coaching prior to incorporation, general corporate representation and counseling, venture capital financings, initial public offerings and mergers and acquisitions.
Brian’s fund practice also includes the structuring, formation, organization and operation of venture capital and growth equity funds and their general partners and related management company entities. He advises funds on all aspects of their operations, including the preparation of offering materials, the fundraising process and negotiations and communications with investors. He regularly counsels clients on compliance with Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, as well as other statutes and regulations applicable to venture capital and growth equity funds.
- Villanova University's Charles Widger School of Law, J.D.
- magna cum laude
- James Madison University, B.M.
- summa cum laude
Selected Speaking Engagements:
- Campbells’ Fund Focus Conference, Grand Cayman, Developments in Private Equity and Venture Capital Structures, November 2014
- Conferência Anual de Startups e Empreendedorismo, São Paulo, Brazil, Preparing Your Startup for International Investments, November 2014
- Boston Private Bank & Trust Company’s Private Partnership CFO Conference, Boston, MA, GP Terms and Best Practices, June 2014
- Practising Law Institute Advanced Venture Capital, San Francisco, CA, Hot Deal Sector: Brazil, December 2012