Gunderson Dettmer Recognized as PitchBook’s Most Active VC Law Firm in Southeast Asia for 2020
Gunderson Dettmer is again ranked "most active law firm globally" in PitchBook’s 2020 Global Venture Capital League Tables. Further, the PitchBook database confirms that Gunderson Dettmer handled more venture and growth equity transactions in Southeast Asia in 2020 than any other law firm in the world.
According to PitchBook, the deals handled by Gunderson Dettmer in Southeast Asia included over 50 companies with 300 investors and nearly $6 billion raised for the most promising companies in the region.
“When we opened our office in Singapore in 2016, we were committing to a region with tremendous promise. Five years later, we continue to see significant investment in Southeast Asia and are proud to be part of this rapidly growing ecosystem,” said Jonathan Pentzien, the Singapore office leader.
Of particular note, among numerous early stage and late stage financings focused on Southeast Asia:
- Gunderson Dettmer represented FreshToHome, an India-based e-commerce startup that sells fresh fish and meat, in its $121 million Series C financing. This transaction is the largest consumer-focused Series C financing for an Indian startup to date.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Singapore-based Asia Partners in connection with the $35 million Series B financing round of Snapask, an on-demand tutoring app focused on Southeast Asia.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented India-based Yellow Messenger, a conversational AI platform for customer engagement, in its $20 million Series B financing led by Lightspeed Venture Partners.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented clients Leeds Equity Partners and Prosus Ventures in connection with Eruditus’ $113 million Series D financing. Eruditus is a provider of professional education courses in collaboration with top-ranked universities.
- Gunderson Dettmer represented Khatabook, an India-based digital ledger app for businesses, in its $60 million financing led by B Capital, Sequoia, DST Global and Tencent.
In 2020, Gunderson Dettmer closed more deals than any other law firm in PitchBook’s annual league table history. This result reflects Gunderson Dettmer’s continued market leadership in the venture capital marketplace and reinforces previous recognition as the most active law firm in the world every year since 2014.
Gunderson Dettmer is the only business law firm singularly focused on the global venture capital and emerging technology marketplaces. With more than 300 attorneys in nine offices worldwide, Gunderson promotes innovation, entrepreneurship and technology by representing investors and companies at every stage in the growth lifecycle.