Marcia is a partner in our Ann Arbor and Silicon Valley offices.
Marcia is a corporate and securities partner and the leader of the firm’s Ann Arbor office. Marcia also serves as a member of the firm’s Management Committee. Marcia combines a dynamic emerging company practice with a top-tier venture capital investment representation practice, giving her insights, experience and connections relevant to entrepreneurs, companies and investors. Marcia’s work with companies spans the entire corporate life cycle – from entrepreneurs needing support for strategic decisions and coaching prior to incorporation to early stage companies looking to raise capital and scale their business, to mature companies preparing for public offerings and sale transactions. She also routinely represents venture capital firms in their investment activities, related business matters and counseling.
Marcia has tremendous experience working on many large exit transactions for life sciences and technology companies, including:
- IPO for ARMO BioSciences, and subsequent sale to Eli Lilly for $1.6 billion
- IPO for Arcus Biosciences
- Acquisition of client ServiceMax by GE Digital for $915 million
- Acquisition of client True North Therapeutics by Bioverativ for $825 million
- Acquisition of client Flexus Biosciences by Bristol Myers Squibb for $1.2 billion
- Cross-border acquisition of client Deepfield by Nokia
- Acquisition of many clients by various acquirers, including Oracle, Facebook, VMware, Roche, Gilead, and Nova Measuring Instruments
- Completed hundreds of venture financings, from early stage seed rounds to late-stage mezzanine rounds
Marcia believes in investing time and energy with the entrepreneurs and investors from the incorporation stage onward. She truly enjoys working with companies at the very beginning of their life cycle, thinking through strategic decisions with the founders and investors to keep the company on the path to success. This model has proven out many times. For example, Marcia incorporated ARMO BioSciences in 2012, helped the company raise $295 million over five financing rounds, including the IPO, and represented the company in its 2018 sale for $1.6 billion to Eli Lilly. Similarly, and over only two years, Marcia incorporated Flexus Biosciences, handled all three rounds of financing, worked closely with the team and board, and led the sale transaction to Bristol Myers Squibb for $1.2 billion in 2015. In another example, Marcia incorporated Arcus Biosciences, handled every financing, including its IPO and secondary offering, and continues to represent the company after its IPO. Marcia is thrilled to be leading the firm’s efforts to grow in the Midwest, to bring a differentiated level of experience and expertise to bear for the growing number of extraordinary entrepreneurs and venture capitalists in the Midwest.
Marcia received her J.D. from University of Michigan Law School and her B.A. in history from University of California, Berkeley, where she played on the women’s basketball team. Prior to joining Gunderson Dettmer, Marcia was a partner at Heller Ehrman and a senior attorney at Venture Law Group. Early in her career as an attorney Marcia practiced in New York with Sullivan & Cromwell. Marcia Hatch is admitted to practice law in California, Michigan and New York. Marcia was born and raised in Michigan.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A., History