Wes is the founding partner of our Austin office.
Wes focuses on representing entrepreneurs and venture capital investors in the formation, financing and operation of technology and growth companies. He also advises emerging companies with respect to strategic transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, recapitalizations, spin-outs, and buying and selling assets, in addition to general corporate and governance matters.
Wes shared in his press release upon joining the firm, “I have worked across the table from Gunderson Dettmer lawyers many times over the years,” said Watts. ”Considering its size, Gunderson Dettmer has consistently punched above its weight class and it’s no wonder that it is the number one firm in the world for emerging growth companies and venture and growth equity funds. Gunderson Dettmer is singularly focused on the same clients I have devoted my own practice to. And that focus is tailored perfectly to the unique and developing ecosystem in Austin and around Texas.”
His experience prior to joining Gunderson Dettmer includes:
- Venture capital financings in early-stage and late-stage companies in the software, hardware, digital media, cybersecurity, hospitality, consumer products, energy technology and other industries.
- M&A transactions, including:
- A leading provider of mobile and web-based aviation applications in its acquisition by a leading aviation company.
- An automated online shopping comparison platform in its acquisition by a major bank.
- A point-of-sale financing technology platform for retailers in its acquisition by a global pioneer in payment innovation.
- Strategic alliances and other business arrangements, including:
- A global leader in money transfers in its strategic agreement with a blockchain technology platform to utilize the company’s blockchain-based digital currency in its cross-border payments process, as well as a related $50 million investment.
Prior to practicing law, Wes obtained significant business experience. His work ranged from managing the marketplace sales and operations of a Fortune 500 company to being responsible for all aspects of a successful, locally-owned restaurant.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
- with High Honors (Chancellors; Order of the Coif; Editor-in-Chief, Texas International Law Journal)
- University of Texas, B.A., History