Gunderson Dettmer Stough Villeneuve Franklin & Hachigian LLP
Collection and Use of Information by GDSVF&H
GDSVF&H collects information in order to personalize, improve, and continue to operate the Site, as well as to provide you with certain features of the Site, certain Content, and other information that you may request or that GDSVF&H believes may be of interest to you, including updates, newsletters, or publications by GDSVF&H and invitations to events hosted, sponsored, or recommended by GDSVF&H.
The information collected by GDSVF&H falls into the following categories:
Usage Information. GDSVF&H automatically collects certain information regarding your access to and usage of the Site, including from the web browser and device you use to access and use the Site. Such information includes, but is not limited to: your browser type, operating system, MAC address, IP address, “cookie” information (described in greater detail below), the last web page that you visited before accessing the Site, search terms that you enter on the Site, pages or features accessed by you on the Site (and the time spent accessing those pages or features), any links on our Site that you clicked on, and, if you access the Site with a mobile device, information such as unique device identifiers, network information, and hardware model (such information, individually and collectively, “Usage Information”). Usage Information enables GDSVF&H and its Agents (defined below) to determine how often individuals use portions or features of the Site, to analyze the demographics and usage patterns of the Site’s visitors, and to fight spam and malware, among other uses.
- Most browsers have an option for disabling cookies, which will prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, and perhaps (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new cookie in a variety of ways. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may find that some aspects or features of the Site may not operate properly or be available to you.
- You may always access and delete cookies through your web browser settings.
- Pixel Tags. GDSVF&H may also use pixel tags (also known as web beacons) in connection with the Site or certain email communications. Pixel tags are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that are embedded invisibly on web pages, and GDSVF&H uses them to collect or capture Usage Information from you and your web browser and device.
Personal Information. You may access and generally browse the Site without providing any Personal Information. Please note, however, that if you do not provide such information, you will not be able to take advantage of certain features of the Site, such as receiving informational emails and alerts from GDSVF&H and invitations to events, seminars, or workshops that may be of interest to you.
- GDSVF&H will never ask you through the Site, or in any communications you receive from us in connection with your use of the Site, for any Personal Information other than your name, your email address, and your physical address. Please do not under any circumstances provide GDSVF&H with any sensitive Personal Information, such as your Social Security Number.
- GDSVF&H employs and contracts with people and other entities that perform certain tasks on our behalf and who are under our control (“Agents”), including without limitation providers of hosting services, data analytics services, and IT and infrastructure support services. We may need to share Personal Information with our Agents in order to offer certain features on the Site and Content to you. Unless we tell you differently, our Agents do not have any right to use Personal Information or other information we share with them beyond what is necessary to assist us. You hereby consent to our sharing of Personal Information with our Agents.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, GDSVF&H cannot and does not guarantee that your Personal Information will not be otherwise accessed by third parties, including without limitation through unlawful interception, circumvention or disabling of GDSVF&H’s (and/or its Agents’) security controls, unauthorized access to GDSVF&H’s (and/or its Agents’) systems or servers, or administrative errors by GDSVF&H (and/or its Agents).
- You may request the removal of your Personal Information from the Site and our records at any time by emailing [email protected] If you do so, GDSVF&H will exercise reasonable efforts to promptly remove your Personal Information. However, GDSVF&H does not guarantee the permanent removal of your Personal Information, which may, for example, remain in archived or backup copies of the Site.
Aggregate Information. We collect statistical information about how visitors of the Site, collectively, use the Site (“Aggregate Information”). While some of this information may possibly be derived from Personal Information, this statistical information is not Personal Information and cannot be tied back to you or your web browser or device. We may share Aggregate Information with third parties for demographic profiling, analytics, or other purposes.
Your Rights Regarding Your Information
You have the following rights with regard to your Personal Information:
- You may request the removal of your Personal Information from the Site and GDSVF&H’s (and/or its Agents’) systems at any time by emailing [email protected] If and when you do so, GDSVF&H (and/or its Agents) will exercise reasonable efforts to promptly remove your Personal Information. However, GDSVF&H does not guarantee the permanent removal of your Personal Information, which may, for example, remain in archival or backup copies of the Site.
- You may request the cessation of any email publications, invitations, alerts, or other communications from GDSVF&H at any time by clicking the “Unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any such email. GDSVF&H will exercise reasonable efforts to promptly comply with such requests. Please note that such requests may take up to 14 days to be fulfilled, and that you may receive email communications in the meantime.
- Depending on the jurisdiction in which you are located, you may make a request to access, amend, or suspend or object to the use of any Personal Information that you have previously provided to GDSVF&H in connection with your use of the Site, by contacting us at [email protected] Such requests should clearly indicate the specific Personal Information to which it relates and the action that is being requested on the part of GDSVF&H. Please note that, as stated above, GDSVF&H does not guarantee the permanent removal of your Personal Information, which may, for example, remain in archival or backup copies of the Site. GDSVF&H will respond to, and fulfill, your request only if it is commercially reasonable to do so. Additionally, you may also oppose the processing or transferring of Personal Information to the extent the laws of your country require, if you have a legitimate reason to do so.
- If you are a California resident, California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84 entitles you to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of personal customer information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following address: 550 Allerton Street, Redwood City, CA 94063.
GDSVF&H seeks to protect your Personal Information to ensure that it is kept private; however, we cannot guarantee the security of any such information. GDSVF&H stores all of its information, including your Personal Information, using industry-standard techniques. We do not guarantee or warrant that such techniques will prevent unauthorized access to information about you that we store. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. If you have reason to believe that your Personal Information has been compromised in any way, please notify us immediately by contacting [email protected]
If GDSVF&H or substantially all of its assets is acquired, or if we undergo a merger or reorganization involving another entity, your Personal Information would be one of the assets that may be transferred or acquired by a third party. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any such third party may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this policy.