David is a partner focused on start-ups and venture capital.
David works closely with venture funds, startups and technology companies on a variety of matters, including cross-border equity and debt financings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and corporate governance. He has advised on hundreds of venture-backed deals and has led negotiations involving parties based in the U.S., India, China, Middle East, Africa, Australia and all across Southeast Asia.
David has been recognized by The Legal 500 as the only “Next Generation Partner” in the Start-Up and Venture Capital - Foreign Firms in Singapore category. He is also recognized by Chambers and Partners and India Business Law Journal, and was listed as one of Asia’s 40 Under 40 Lawyers for 2022 by Asian Legal Business, a Thomson Reuters publication, which recognizes the top young lawyers from international and domestic firms across Greater China, South Korea, Japan, Southeast Asia and India.
David serves as outside counsel to a number of emerging technology companies, including acting on behalf of:
- Khatabook on its Series A, Series B and Series C financings and its strategic acquisition of Biz Analyst;
- AyoConnect on its Series B and B+ financings;
- Loop Health on its Series A and B financings;
- Yellow Messenger on its Series B and Series C financings;
- Fastcargo Logistics Group as lead investor in the Series B financing in Great Deals E-Commerce, Series Seed financing in Packworks and Series Seed financing in MySuki;
- OkCredit on its Series A and Series B financings;
- AppSmith on its Series B financing;
- TurtleTree Labs on its Series A financing;
- abillion on its Series A financing;
- ErudiFi on its Series A financing;
- Travtus on its Series A financing; and
- RevSure.ai on its Series Seed financing.
David also regularly acts as counsel to venture capital and growth equity investors all over the world, including:
- Tiger Global in numerous transactions in the U.S., India and across Southeast Asia;
- Lightspeed India in numerous investments into India and the U.S.; and
- Lightspeed Venture Partners in their investments into companies in China, India and across Southeast Asia;
- Asia Partners as the lead investor in equity financings by RedDoorz, Carsome, SCI E-Commerce and Doctor Anywhere;
- Lone Pine Capital, Sequoia Capital India and Tiger Global on their investments into Razorpay;
- Monk’s Hill Ventures as the lead investor in equity financings by Saleswhale, UI-licious, Coderschool and Glints;
- Sequoia India as the lead investor in equity financings by Razorpay, Apna.co and Zamp;
- Greenoaks Capital, Prosus Ventures, Addition, Valar Ventures, UP Ventures, Tanglin Venture Partners, Rocketship.vc, Wavemaker, Spark Capital, SIG, BEENEXT, Nosara Capital, Matrix Partners, Mistletoe and other funds leading investments into technology and life sciences companies worldwide.
Previously, David practiced in the Silicon Valley office of Fenwick & West and the New York office of Davis Polk & Wardwell. David received his J.D. from Columbia Law School, where he served as the Chief Articles Editor of the Columbia Business Law Review. He received his B.S. in Applied Economics and Management from Cornell University.
David has passed the Level I examination of the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) program. He is a fluent Mandarin speaker and is a member of the State Bars of California and New York.
- Columbia Law School, J.D.
- Cornell University, B.S., Applied Economics and Management